In this episode, we’re joined by Author RE McDermott. He shares with us who he is, his book Under a Tell Tale Sky, and how life after a coronal mass ejection might go off the rails.
Dystopian fiction books in the prepper niche often focus on EMPs. It’s a seemingly easy target — especially these days. North Korea and other bad actors are suspected of either being capable of or working diligently to produce a weapon that can destroy our grid.
But it’s not often we get a book based on a coronal mass ejection; CME for short. Under a Tell Tale Sky paints a picture of what life might look like immediately after a CME. And author RE McDermott uses this scenario to demonstrate some of the benefits of being on a boat if a CME it.
A coronal mass ejection is an electromagnetic pulse caused by a solar flare, in simple terms. So it’s a naturally occurring phenomenon. And there are such events in recent recorded history. Most famous and largest among them is the Carrington Event – also known as the solar storm of 1859.
Under a Tell Tale Sky Topics Discussed:
- How McDermott become interested in writing
- His history in the maritime industry and how it impacted the book
- Why he picked a CME as the cause of the disaster for his book
- Natural Vs. Man-made disasters
- Balancing storytelling with technical details
- McDermott’s view of prepping and what he personally focuses on
- The best $100 he’s ever spent on preparedness (he cheats 😉
- The thing that bothers him most in the prepper community
- What he considerers his go-to rifle
- McDermott’s Website
- Get Under a Tell Tale Sky on Amazon
- The Sand Pebbles by Richard McKenna
- The Fox Fire Books
- Southbound: A Story of Survival by Author Cal Wilson
- E.M.P.: The End Of The Grid As We Know It by Author Cal Wilson