Tune in for the final episode and hear Aaron interviewed by a listener.
In this episode, we sit down with Jay. He’s going to share with us how power grids are restored and put back together after a catastrophe. Plus, we’ll discuss basic safety tips for during and after a power outage to keep you safe.
Preppers like us are acutely aware of how delicate society is. And when it comes to the electric grid, we’re all at least a little freaked out. (Some a lot freaked out.)
EMPs, Coronal Mass Ejection, Cyber Attacks, physical attacks on plans and substations are on a lot of prepper minds. Then there’s simply the mundane weather event. This massively complex thing we depend on for modern society seems to be attacking threats from all over.
But often, gaining a deeper understanding of something we worry about moves us closer to the sound part of staying safe and sound. To know a thing is to have some control over it. Maybe not a lot, but some. And it can put your mind at ease simple to understand what’s happening and why.
And knowing some simple tips of what to do and what not to do when power grids go down and when it comes back up can keep you safe.
So listen in as we discuss power grids and safety…
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/itrhpodcast/E229-grid.mp3″ title=”E229: Fundamentals of How Power Is Restored After a Catastrophe” artist=”ITRH” social_linkedin=”true” social_pinterest=”true” social_email=”true” ]
Power Grids and Restoration Topics Discussed:
- What causes a grid to go down
- The stages of how power is restored to an area
- The unexpectedly complex negotiations power companies must go through
- How you may be putting linemen at serious risk of electrocution and death
- How gasoline and diesel became a priority one resource after disasters
- Why controlling the flow of power to your home after an outage could save your home
- Where and when not to use a generator
- Powerfly bad puns