Robert Swartley of Talon Arms is back! Aaron and Jonathan interview Robert about NFA Weapons. The topic is serious, but Aaron, Jonathan, and Robert make it fun with solid facts and advice, and by addressing some of the urban legends about Class 3 Tax Stamp weapons.
Concealed handgun instructor Salvatore DeGennaro joins us to discuss practical gun training. He’s going to share his thoughts on handguns vs. long-guns and must have EDC items.
We’ve all heard the adage, “You use your handgun to fight to your long-gun.” It makes sense: long-guns are more powerful, easier to make accurate hits with, do more damage to the intended target, and tend to be immediate “fight stoppers”.
And long-guns posses a greater effective range. With a weekend’s worth of instruction, it is possible to for someone to achieve a high degree of consistent precision out to 400 yards. By high degree, I mean the ability to hold a 4-MOA group, over the course of 40 rounds, at varying distances, while changing positions and magazines, engaging multiple targets, and under a time constraint.
Good luck achieving that with a pistol in a weekend with a newer shooter. The newer shooter should be able to become effective out to 25-yards with a pistol. However, that is typically the limit.
But what is realistic and practical often getting tossed to the side and ignored. And there are case studies like the financial collapse of Argentina provided by FerFal. They demonstrate the real world problems involved in relying primarily on a long-gun in a grid-down or near collapse situation.
So today, Salvatore helps break it all down for us…
Practical Gun Training Topics Discussed:
- Who is Salvatore DeGennaro and how did he get into guns
- Why more of the gun community aren’t preppers
- What to look for in a handgun
- Lessons from the Argentina financial collapse
- The place and case for long-guns in a prepper’s gun battery
- How he stays sharp as a shooter and instructor
- Thoughts on how to find a good handgun instructor
- How to decide the amount of training time you spend on rifles vs. handguns
- His list of essential EDC items
- Understanding the importance of de-escalation techniques