Tune in for the final episode and hear Aaron interviewed by a listener.
E205: Real World Self-Defense and Gun Fighting for Preppers
In this episode, we sit down with Jeanna Cournoyer to discuss self-defense and firearms training. Jeanna is a bit like a female John Wick with a long resume of training in Krav Maga, firearms, and stress training. She also happens to be pretty damn cool.
We dive into reality-based training. This is scenario based and “real-world” techniques for hand-to-hand combat situations. And we dive into the murky waters where one must transition from a fist fit to a gun fight. But
Self-defense Topics Discussed:
- What is Fear and Adrenal Stress Training?
- What’s the difference between self-defense and martial arts?
- How did Jeanna get into Krav Maga?
- What advantages does Krav Maga have over other martial arts for Jeanna?
- Is there a difference between Krav Maga taught to civilians and what’s taught in the Israeli military?
- IS that because it focuses more on arresting techniques?
- What limitations are there when it comes to unarmed self-defense techniques?
- What are people’s biggest aversions to taking a self-defense class?
- Are there things women, in particular, should consider when looking at self-defense training?
- Why have firearms played such a big role in Jeanna’s personal defense training?
- Why there is so much interest in women-only classes for women?
- Why do women gravitate towards women-only self-defense and firearms classes?
- What changes for Jeanna as an instructor, when she’s teaching women-only classes?
- What parts of firearms’ training do women wrestle with versus men?
- What aspects of firearms’ training do women tend to excel at over men?
- Are there calibers that just don’t work well for most women and calibers that do work well for most women?
- How has having a kid changed the way Jeanna keep firearms in the house?
- How does Jeanna deal with a situation where one-half of a couple is hesitant or strongly opposed to the idea of firearms in the home while the other is interested in it?
Self-defense Episode Resources:
- Fight Back Fit – Self-Defense and Fitness
- Fight Back Fit on Twitter: @FightBackFit
- Fight Back Fit on Facebook
- Teaching Women To Shoot A Law Enforcement Instructor’s Guide Second Edition by Vicki Farnam & Diane Nicholl