Tune in for the final episode and hear Aaron interviewed by a listener.
E207: Urban Farming for Fun and Profit
In this episode, we discuss making a little money through urban farming with your buddy Michael Jordan the Bee Whisperer. It’s not as hard as you may think.
Many of us in the preparedness community have small, medium, and even larger urban farms. They’re perfect for building survival skills, building a food storage pantry, and becoming more self-reliant with an urban farm. And getting out and putting your hands in some dirt or raising animals can be relaxing.
But what do you do when you start producing excess. You may be sitting on extra cash or a side hustle and not even realize. You just have to like money and be willing to put in some effort.
A few years ago now, we had a very respectable urban farm with chickens and rabbits. When we got to 40 chickens and 40 rabbits we were producing more than we needed or wanted. We talked at length about selling the excess, but selling rabbit meat and eggs proved problematic due to local and federal laws. And we weren’t sure where to start.
Urban Farming Topics Discussed
- Being aware of laws in your area
- What animals work well for urban farming
- Different products from your urban farm you can sell
- Some of the ways you can sell your products to make an income
- How to get around health department laws regarding meet
- How to hide bees, chickens, quail, and rabbits, so others do not know you have them
- Why a dehydrator is an urban farmers friend
- How using FREE Brewer’s spent grain is your friend
Connect with Michael Jordan the Bee Whisperer:
NOTE: We had some connection problems that weren’t completely apparently until the show was already recorded. So be advised, this episode’s audio isn’t what you normally expect. But you should still be able to hear Michael’s advice on urban farming.