Tune in for the final episode and hear Aaron interviewed by a listener.
In this episode, we welcome back Author Devon Porter. But today we won’t be discussing dystopian fiction. Instead, he shares with use all the delicious goodness of growing your own bacon by raising pigs on a small-scale.
Homesteading and personal food production is a big topic in the preparedness community, obviously. Rabbits, Chickens, and even cattle are the most common topics covered when it comes to discussing livestock. Sometimes sheep and goats are discussed too.
It turns out, raising pigs is not as complicated as some might think. And it’s not only great for a small scale homestead, raising pigs can also be a fun side hustle. Porter shares how he turned his love of small-scale pig farming into an investment and small business.[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/itrhpodcast/E184-pig-farming.mp3″ title=”E184: Farming for Bacon with Devon Porter” artist=”ITRH” social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” social_linkedin=”true” social_stumble=”true” social_pinterest=”true” social_email=”true” ]
Raising Pigs episode topics covered:
- Why would a prepare or homesteader want to raise pigs
- Which breeds of pigs are best for budding small-scale pig farming
- What is the easiest breed of pig to raise for the hobbyist
- What is a basic setup to get started with raising pigs
- Do pigs need wallows and what’s the best way to support their needs
- What kind of fencing do pigs need
- What’s the best pig feed for pig farming
- How can a small pig farmer get into selling pork
- Should you ever name your pigs
- What are the ins and outs of breeding pigs
- At what age should your harvest your pigs