In this episode, we welcome back Darrell of FloridaHillbilly.com. We’ll discuss the most loved and dreaded thing in preparedness: HAM Radio. And we’ll get into why everyone should be hamming it up. Plus other bad puns.
HAM Radio is one of the most boring skills, to some preppers. The material is dry. And it all seems a little too serious.
But it’s the only way you’ll be able to communicate with your network in a gird-down situation or natural disaster. Plus, once you get past the tests there’s an amazing world to be discovered.
HAM Radio Discussion Points:
- Why is HAM worth the effort
- Why is is important for preppers to get into HAM Radio
- Why is HAM better than old fashioned walkie-talkies
- How useful is HAM in an emergency situation
- What is field day
- How hard is are the HAM tests
- What’s the easiest way to study for the tests
- What are the different HAM Radio levels of licensing
- What are the differences between the levels
- Which radio is the right radio to get started with
- Can HAM be encrypted
- How can you secure your communications
- ARRL (American Radio Relay League)
- ARRL Official Test Pool of Questions
- Darrell’s blog FloridaHillbilly.com
HAM Radio’s and Gear Mentioned:
- BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio
- Darrell’s Favorite Radio: Kenwood TH-F6A
- CHIRP Open Source HAM Radio Programing Software
This episode was sponsored in part by Audible. Get your free audio book and 30 day trail here.