Tune in for the final episode and hear Aaron interviewed by a listener.
E212: Determining How Much Ammo to Store for When SHTF (or not)
In this episode, we discuss how much ammo to store. This will be a short back to basics show. People often wrestle with how much ammo is enough. Today, we try to put things into perspective.
Ten thousand rounds of stored ammo is a number you’ll find often in online discussions about how much ammo to store. And at first blush, to new preppers, ten thousand rounds seem totally reasonable. We are preparing for SHTF and TEOTWAWKI, right?
But rarely is this number justified. And when the ten thousand rounds ammo storage answer is justified, it’s usually for unrealistic reasons.
So in this back-to-basics episode, we’ll discuss what to take into consideration rather than an exact number. And we’ll do a thought experiment to investigate how much ammo to store. The result may change your mind and perspective on the topic.
And we’ll quickly cover a basic gun battery so we have all our ducks in a row.
Determining How Much Ammo to Store:
- The four guns that make up a basic gun battery
- Why .22 is such a versatile staple round of preparedness
- How much ammo would you go through in a year after a societal collapse
- Breaking down storing ammo by use type
- defense ammo
- practice ammo
- hunting ammo
- Why everyone gets it wrong when considering how much ammo to store
- Lessons we can learn from survivors of modern collapses
- When avoidance and evasion are a better strategy than getting into a gunfight
- Why you’re likely to never see a prolonged gun battle in a collapse
- When ammo storage numbers are pulled out of one’s butt
- Factoring ammo storage into your bugout plans
- Using ammo as a barter item
- Why you should be storing ammo