In this episode hosts Aaron and Jason discuss being a bad prepper. Or more appropriately stated, the dangers of being a disorganized survivalist. Listen now...
How to choose a knife is a common quandary. There are many options. There are so many things to consider. In this episode, we sit down with Marshall of GoingGear.com to answer those questions.
This is one of our favorite topics: Knives! They often don’t get enough air time here. But they are one of the most important and basic tools of survival. And it doesn’t matter if it’s for EDC (Every Day Carry) or for trekking through the woods. A good knife’s value can’t be stressed enough.
Basic considerations for a knife topics discussed:
- What’s the most useful size of a pocket knife?
- What are the best locking mechanisms and why are they important?
- What things does Marshal consider when looking at pocket knives for himself?
- What knife point type makes the most senses to you for pocket knives?
- What is the best handle material for pocket knives?
- Are knife super-steels all hype?
- What are the new super-steels these days?
- What’s the story on Elmax steel?
- How do A2 and D2 tool steels hold up for knives?
- What are the top brands in pocket knives—excluding the super high-end custom stuff?
- What’s the big fuss about Zero Tolerance knives?
- What’s the most useful blade length for a fixed blade knife?
- What are things to you consider when looking at a good fixed blade camping knife?
- What are things to you take into account when looking at a good fixed blade bushcraft knife?
- Does blade grind type/geometry really matter in a fixed blade knife?
- What are the best handle materials for fixed blade knives?
- To full tang or not to care about full tang, does it matter?
Knife Episode Resources:
- Marshal’s Store – GoingGear.com
- GoingGear – Instagram
- GoingGear – Facebook
- NEW SHOW: Safe House Home Security and Automation Podcast